Frontier Airlines is known for their low cast fares and at times crazy travel fiasco. Low cost carriers like Frontier have a lot of mystery around booking them. I’ve received many questions about flying with Frontier and if it is really worth it the tempting low rates. I’ve compiled a list and we are going to talk about travel tips for flying with Frontier Airlines.
What’s included in the basic fare?
Frontier Airlines has a slogan of low fares done right. So let’s break down the fare and what is included in it:
- 1 Personal Bag (18 in x 14 in x 8 in)
- Change or Cancel option (will require a fee + fare difference)
- Same Day Confirmed Flight option (will require a fee)
- Ticket Transfer option (might require a fee + fare difference)
How can I upgrade from the basic fare?
Frontier Airlines has a couple of bundle options available. These are only available when booking directly.
What to expect at the gate:
- Boarding is done by zones based on your ticket.
- Be prepared to potentially have your personal item checked for correct size.
What to expect in flight:
- Your personal item must be placed under your seat unless your flight is not full. I’ve had flights where flight attendants have allowed me to place my personal bag above.
- In flight refreshments will be available for purchase by credit card online.
- The seats do not recline.
- Legroom measures in at 28 inches.
My ways to save and tips:
- Get the right bag. I have these bags for my family that we use as the personal size item bags to avoid baggage fees. This is how I maximize my savings. Use space saver bags like these to help gain space.
- Look for kids fly free dates. Frontier releases dates each year where kids can fly free with the purchase of an adult ticket. This is only available if you are a Discount Den member.
- Consider joining the Discount Den. The cost is $59.99 a year that entitled you and your family to extra discounts on fares. The discount can be used for up to 6 people on your reservation. Click the link above to see all the features.
The biggest piece of advice that I can give is to have an open mind. Keep in mind that this is a discount airline and there are not any luxuries. You are not entitled to bigger bags because you booked a basic ticket. I’ve been able to purchase round trip tickets on Frontier for $79 to Orlando for a week long vacation without adding any bundles and just using the personal bag. If you pack smart and plan appropriately, Frontier can be a great cost savings to your vacations. I hope you enjoyed my travel tips for Frontier Airlines.
Looking for another low cost airline? Check out my review on Spirit Airlines!